Old June 3rd 06, 03:14 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default What is the difference between...

Rip stop is NYLON. It will not shrink or accept
finishes. You cannot attach finishing tapes, you can't
get it to do most of the tasks you NEED fabric to do.
Now if you want to play with something very close to
uncertified fabric, Try Polyester Dress Lining. It
shrinks with heat, accepts dope, rib stiches and all that
good stuff. I used it for years in slow motorized hang gliders
before 103 was a gleam in the FAA's eye.
Oh Yeah, AC43-13 covers what fabric real well if you
are not too well exposed to this stuff.

Scott
"Ken Moffett" wrote in message
"expresstechonsite" wrote in
oups.com:

What are the differences between standard "Rip-Stock" material I can
get from my local fabric store (or even wal-mart) for $1.00/yd and the
polyester fabrics approved for covering an aircraft?

The fabric is called "ripstop" not "Rip-Stock".