Old June 7th 06, 07:26 AM posted to rec.aviation.owning

Default Voltage Regulator replacement

Jay Masino wrote:
jmk wrote:
mikem wrote:

Here's an interesting story for you guys to ponder... Years ago, some time after
I installed my Stormscope (and with a fairly new alternator), the anal retentive
electrical engineer in me decided to get one of those solid state Zeftronics
voltage regulators. It created a phantom storm on the Stormscope. I checked
all the grounding, etc, and tinkered with it for a few days, then I re-
installed my mechanical regulator. It's been fine ever since. I still have
that solid state regulator around somewhere. I'm going to try it again, when
I get a chance.

Hi Jay, your experience with the solid-state regulator supports jmk's
thesis, ie that the mechanical regulator switches infrequently, and
generates less interference to your Stormscope than the Zeftronics
regulator, which switches on/off at a much higher rate.
I recently experimented with a solid-state regulator which switched at
about 20 to 40Hz.
I also recently tested FAA-PMAed solid-state "linear" regulator, which
doesn't switch at all. It is a class A amplifier which smoothly changes
the alternator's field current from zero to full-on (about 3A). Maybe
you should get one of those to keep your Stormscope happy.