Old August 27th 04, 03:13 PM
Michael

Matt Whiting wrote
Delegation, for one. You can delegate to ATC, you know.

Didn't need to fly with a copilot to learn that.

I suspect that someone who does fly with a copilot will be better at
it. I used to think as you do - but my preparation flights for the
ATP ride (with an actual practicing ATP, an airline training captain
and former jet DE and fleet captain) showed me where my delegation
skills were weak.

And if you have a passenger who is blind? Illiterate? Scared to
death?

I put them in the back seat! :-)

Probably not a bad move, but my point is that you can't always count
on having a desk OR having a useful copilot.

Well, they say that superior judgement obviates the need to use superior
skill.

Who says that? Certainly nobody I know. Superior judgment DOES NOT
obviate the need to use superior skill; it merely makes superior skill
necessary less often. That's why the airlines have not abandoned
maneuvers training (the superior skill portion) - they have ADDED the
LOFT to asess judgment.

Sometimes, BOTH superior judgment AND superior skill are necessary for
the safe and expeditious conclusion of a flight. That's why the ATP
ride should test both. At the instrument level, safe is enough.

Michael