Old June 20th 06, 06:18 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default A dumb doubt on stalls

No, I said the buffet comes from the wing root, but the
actual stall is when the tail stalls and looses lift (down
force) and then the nose pitches down because the still
flying wing CP is behind the CG.

http://www.faa.gov/library/manuals/a...83-25-1of4.pdf

--
James H. Macklin
ATP,CFI,A&P

"Bob Moore" wrote in message
. 122...
| Jim Macklin wrote:
| The stall buffet comes from disturbance of the air flow
over the wing
| root, but the actual stall comes from the tail.
|
| Ramapriya wrote:
| Actual stall comes from the tail?? Meaning?? This is
more arcane than
| I'd bargained for
|
| I think that Jim got it bassackwards. Approaching the
stall, airflow at
| the wing root separates and strikes the horizontal
stabilizer, shaking
| it and providing the stall warning required by FAR 23.207.
|
| From Wikipedia:
| In aerodynamics, a stall occurs when the critical angle of
attack is
| exceeded, causing loss of lift and a large increase in
drag due to
| disruption of airflow.
|

| Section 23.207: Stall warning.
| (a) There must be a clear and distinctive stall warning,
with the
| flaps and landing gear in any normal position, in straight
and turning
| flight.
|
| (b) The stall warning may be furnished either through
the inherent
| aerodynamic qualities of the airplane or by a device that
will give
| clearly distinguishable indications under expected
conditions of flight.
| However, a visual stall warning device that requires the
attention of
| the crew within the cockpit is not acceptable by itself.
|
| (c) During the stall tests required by §23.201(b) and
§23.203(a)(1),
| the stall warning must begin at a speed exceeding the
stalling speed by
| a margin of not less than 5 knots and must continue until
the stall
| occurs.
|
| (e) During the stall tests required by §23.203(a)(2),
the stall
| warning must begin sufficiently in advance of the stall
for the stall to
| be averted by pilot action taken after the stall warning
first occurs.