Old June 28th 06, 11:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default just out of interest: pressure pattern navigation

Thanks for those Jim. I'd seen a couple of them before. The thing is that
unless I'm missing something, there isn't an explanation of WHEN you'll
arrive. There's an explanation of HOW and WHERE, but I'm wondering how you
work out time and fuel planning when using the pressure pattern method.

"Jim Macklin" wrote in message
Plane & Pilot Magazine | Feature Articles | Revisiting
Pressure ... Initiated in 1943, pressure-pattern navigation
is attributed to Dr. John Bellamy. His so-called "Bellamy
Drift" was used widely during the late 1940s, ...
www.planeandpilotmag.com/content/
pastissues/2001/mar/revisiting.html - 37k - Cached - Similar
pages

Flying Magazine - You want to put them where? The
relationship between barometric pressure and wind drift is
enshrined in the so-called Bellamy Drift, named for John
Bellamy, a civil engineer and ...
www.flyingmag.com/article.asp?section_
id=12&article_id=602&page_number=2 - 24k - Cached - Similar
pages

[PDF] AFI 11-2C-130 Volume 3, Checklist 5 File Format:
PDF/Adobe Acrobat - View as HTML
Whiz Wheel Formula for finding Bellamy Drift:. ZN. =.
DCA. Grnd Dist. 57.3. PRESSURE PATTERN ALTITUDE CHANGE.
FORMULA METHOD ...
www.e-publishing.af.mil/pubfiles/
af/11/afi11-2c-130v3cl-5/afi11-2c-130v3cl-5.pdf - Similar
pages

"xerj" wrote in message
| ... when using pressure pattern nav techniques, what's a
standard way for
| working out groundspeed for flight planning purposes? Do
you take the
| forecast curved route and divide it up into segments and
average it out?