Old July 7th 06, 09:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Charlie Wolf

Default Interesting helocopter film

On 7 Jul 2006 08:59:56 -0700, "Gordon" wrote:

Charlie Wolf wrote:
On 7 Jul 2006 04:01:27 GMT, (Darrell A.
Larose) wrote:

(Greasy Rider @ invalid.com) writes:

Helicopters aren't suppose to do that

I knew that model helicopters can do those things, but I thought it
was outside the realm of full size aircraft.

For all you rotor-heads out there ----
Does this have something to do with a rigid rotor head assembly on the
bird?
Regards,

Since no one else has chimed in...

Yes, its a capability that a rigid rotor system can provide. The 105
and 117 can both do these tricks and several other types can as well,
but very few pilots actually try it. If you go into one of the
manuevers and get it a little wrong, you lose blades and ultimately,
the maint officer gets upset at all the extra paperwork. Many of
todays gunships can do acrobatics similar to what the film shows,
however there are few situations where it would be helpful for the helo
to dance around like this in combat. Its visually stimulating but
that's about it.

Go ahead, ask - would I go for a ride with a pilot doing this?

Faaaaaaaaaaaaaq no! Heloes are plenty dangerous enough, just sitting
on the flightline waiting to kill their crews as it is. Why stick your
head in a croc's mouth and nudge it in the balls?

v/r
Gordon

Well put. I always felt helicopter flight was a bit of an unnatural
act.
Regards,