Old July 17th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Roy Smith

Default Emergency Procedures

In article
,
john smith wrote:

In article ,
"Peter R." wrote:

Jim Macklin wrote:

Pulling the prop
control back moves the prop towards the high pitch stops.
Most pilots seem to think cycling the prop is just to
circulate fresh warm oil. Give the system a moment to have
the rpm stabilize to see what is happening.

Leave it there a moment? Hmmm, when I transitioned to the Bonanza, my
first constant speed prop aircraft, I was told by the very experienced CFI
not to let the RPMS drop too much during this pre-takeoff item or it would
place a high load on the engine (I believe his analogy was like shifting a
car into 4th gear while driving at 25 miles per hour).
Not true?

I cannot remember where I read it (sometime in the past year), not to
allow the rpm to drop more than 500 rpm during the prop check at runup
rpm.

Go to http://www.mattituck.com/articles/goodhabt.htm and scroll down to
"Keep Propeller Cycling To A Minimum".