Old August 7th 06, 04:24 PM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Andrey Serbinenko

Default CAT IIIC minimums

'Autoland' and 'Approach CAT' are two separate subjects. It is true
that 'autoland' is a requirement for the conduct of an approach and
landing if the wx conditions are below CATII minimums, but autoland
can also be used in VFR conditions.

OK, I see now. Thanks!

Andrey

The reason for the requirement to conduct autolandings every so often
(we had that requirement at the old PanAm) is to insure that the
equipment remains in calibration. If the autolandings were not logged,
the equipment had to be removed from the a/c and bench calibrated at
scheduled intervals.

Many of our PanAm B-727s had autoland capability with only a CATII
approach capability.

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727
PanAm (retired)