Old August 17th 06, 02:29 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.homebuilt
Kyle Boatright

Default Look at Van's Blather here.

"Newps" wrote in message
. ..

Kyle Boatright wrote:

In talking with Van's, they really thought they would have quite a few
customers for the RV-9 who would use the 0-235 or 0-290. Sure, there are
a few, but there are far more guys bolting on the 0-360 @ 180 hp, which
is 20 hp more than what Van had in mind when he designed the airplane.

And now there's an O-340 out there that puts out 190 hp. Oh the choices.

You're right, there are lots of choices. The O-340 as you mentioned, but
also the O-390 and O-400, which are enlarged O-360's. Presumably all three
of these engines will be relatively low volume. I'd be scared to death to
buy one because if the Lyclone manufacturer who produces the oddball engine
goes out of business, I don't think there will enough units in the field to
drive anyone to support the engines.

People with GO-300's, GO-470's, C-85's, O-290's and several other legacy
powerplants are having problems getting parts for their engines. Those
engines had much longer production runs than today's oddball lyclones are
likely to see.

KB