Old August 17th 06, 03:05 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Bob Moore

Default Collision alert!

Greg Copeland wrote
"Collision alert! Collision alert! Collision alert!"

Sure sound's like something that you wrote-up for Flying's
"I learned About Flying From That" column. A little too dramatic
don't you think?

I don't find "Collision Alert" in the Pilot/Controller Glossary,
are you sure that it didn't go something like this, "95X, Dallas
Departure, Traffic eleven o'clock, 2 miles, transponder indicates
3,500', turn left heading 150."? After all...this is copied from
the AIM:

"e. ATC Clearances and Separation. An ATC clearance is required to
enter and operate within Class B airspace. VFR pilots are provided
sequencing AND SEPARATION from other aircraft while operating within
Class B airspace."

ATC was required to provide separation services and the situation that
you describe should never occur. Of course ATC knew the other aircraft
was there by its transponder code...how else did it's altitude become
known?

From the "Pilot/Controller Glossary:
SAFETY ALERT- A safety alert issued by ATC to aircraft under their control
if ATC is aware the aircraft is at an altitude which, in the controller's
judgment, places the aircraft in unsafe proximity to terrain, obstructions,
or other aircraft. The controller may discontinue the issuance of further
alerts if the pilot advises he/she is taking action to correct the
situation or has the other aircraft in sight.
b. Aircraft Conflict Alert- A safety alert issued by ATC to aircraft under
their control if ATC is aware of an aircraft that is not under their
control at an altitude which, in the controller's judgment, places both
aircraft in unsafe proximity to each other. With the alert, ATC will offer
the pilot an alternate course of action when feasible; e.g., "TRAFFIC
ALERT, advise you turn right heading zero niner zero or climb to eight
thousand immediately."

"95X, we have him at your six. He is following you to 3500."
Needless to say, I'm now wondering if this guy is trying to commit
suicide with an air to air. Almost a full minute later (well, I'm
sure it wasn't...but seemed like...) and glued to the radio, "95X, the
plane has resume his course to the west. He is no longer on your
six."

Been watching a little too much "Top Gun"? "At your six" geeze...only from
a wanna-be fighter pilot. Tom Cruise would be proud of you though.
ATC would have said something like this..."the unidentified traffic is now
at six o'clock, one mile and descending through xxxx feet. Just curious,
how did ATC know that he was "following you to 3,500"? And finally, ATC
would have said something like...95X, Dallas Departure, previously reported
traffic no longer a factor, fly heading 170, maintain 3,500.

Naw....Flying wouldn't have bought it either. :-)

Bob Moore
ATP B-707 B-727 L-188
CFII AGI
PanAm (retired)