Old November 11th 04, 11:21 PM
Ash Wyllie

jharper aaatttt cisco dddooottt com opined

This was heatedly discussed in the Cessna owners' group a
few months back. People seem to be completely polarised
about it. FWIW, I love my HSI and would hate to have to
fly without it. It was one of my key decision factors in
choosing a plane to buy. It just makes things SO much
easier as compared to a DI and a separate CDI. I've
flown a couple of times behind a Sandel electronic HSI
and that was even better, although I wouldn't pay
$10K to upgrade.

I love my HSI! But it might be better to wait and save for a glass panel.

Should the best be the enemy of the the good?

Dave Butler wrote:
Please excuse the hijacking of this religious/political forum to raise a
question about flying.

My partners and I are faced with a decision. What would you do?

We plan to update our outdated panel with a GNS480. The CDIs currently
installed are not compatible with the GNS480, so one of them will be
replaced.

We could replace the existing CDI with a compatible one for $2000.

We could install a non-slaved NSD360 HSI instead for $3500.

If we install the HSI, the no-longer-used CDI hole can be used for the
electric AI that's been waaaay over on the other side of the panel.

I think I know what we will do (go for the HSI), but I'm collecting
opinions.

Is the NSD360 likely to become a maintenance headache?

In the electronic age, does it make sense to install an
electromechanical aid to situational awareness?

Thanks,

Dave

-ash
Cthulhu in 2005!