Old August 26th 06, 04:04 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.ifr
Robert Chambers

Default Silly controller

Radar services terminated is not the same thing as IFR being cancelled.
Where I fly I'm always told that "Radar services terminated, contact
xx tower on 120.9" I'm still fully IFR, and may or may not be in the
clouds and although he says he's terminated radar services he is more
than likely still keeping an eye on me. If I were to veer way off
course he'd call my tower and ask what the heck n12345 was doing.

Robert

Doug wrote:
I was once told, just outside the FAF "the approach is APPROVED, radar
services TERMINATED". And yes kiddies I was in a cloud. (He musta been
a supervisor :-)

Brad wrote:

Robert M. Gary wrote:

The other day I was doing a VFR practice approach into Tracy, CA when
the controller told me "reporting canceling IFR this freq, or on ground
via land line...". I told him "uh, ok canceling IFR, I didn't believe I
was IFR" (because I hadn't asked for or received an IFR clearance).
The controller told me that any aircraft on an approach clearance is
IFR for the purposes of the approach. I guess even controllers can be
students?

-Robert

At least it's better than the controller who told my instrument student
as we approached the FAF, (we were on an IFR flight plan) "IFR
canceled, squawk VFR, frequency change approved." even though we hadn't
canceled. It was VMC, so operationally it wasn't a big deal for us,
but I learned from TRACON's QC person that the controller was a trainee
and the instructing controller missed it.