Old August 30th 06, 04:41 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Ross Richardson[_2_]

Default Summer's over -- where'd you go?

Jay Honeck wrote:
With school started, and family vacations a soon-to-be-distant memory,
it's time to reflect on a summer of flying. Where'd everyone fly to?
What was the coolest flight you made this summer? Help us plan NEXT
summer's flight, by describing your "must-see" place from this year.

I'll get the ball rolling. We flew more this year than ever before,
and hit some pretty cool places -- but the most lovely, by far, was
Madeline Island, up in Lake Superior. My son and I flew to the island
with our mountain bikes, camped on the field right next to the plane,
and enjoyed three fantastic days of riding, swimming, and flying.

Aside from the quality time spent with my son, this is what stands out
most in my mind: On our last day, we departed into a crystal-clear,
azure blue sky, and made a round-robin, low-level tour of the Apostle
Islands, most of which are inhabited only by wild life. We stayed down
low over the water, never over-flying the islands themselves, but
rather shooting along side of them, marveling at the old lighthouses,
the dense forests, and the way the deep waters of Lake Superior could
be so impossibly clear.

This was my first low-level flight (low meaning, like, 500' AGL -- I'm
no dare-devil) over water, and the sensation of speed going past island
rock formations was fun, and the beauty of the scenery simply
breath-taking. The sun, the sky, the water, the sailboats, all
combine to make this a must-do trip for anyone looking for a few days
of peace and quiet in a stunningly beautiful setting.

You?
--
Jay Honeck
Iowa City, IA

Well, I stayed on the ground most of the time with, what I hope is a
temporary medical condition. I hope to get back in the air sometime
towards the end of the year. Otherwise there may be a 180 horse IFR
Skyhawk for sale.

--

Regards, Ross
C-172F 180HP