Old September 2nd 06, 10:06 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Why don't voice radio communications use FM?

Mxsmanic wrote:
Jim Logajan writes:

details snipped

Maybe someday the FAA and/or ICAO will consider replacing analog radios
with a more capable digital system....

All very interesting, but one of the criteria that any new system
would have to satisfy is that it would have to work in parallel with
the existing system. Adding features to the new system that are not
available in the old system would create dangerous differences between
the two. Seeing fancy displays in the ATC or tower for the lucky
digital users won't help deal with traffic from old AM users, and it
might even confuse things enough to cause problems.

A highly advanced solution would require replacing everything at once,
which isn't going to happen. A simpler solution that just provides
better quality audio could coexist with older systems without a
problem.

Analog AM and FM are fundamentally incompatible with each other. Analog AM
and digital encoding over spread-spectrum are fundamentally incompatible
with each other. You asked why AM is being used and not FM and all I'm
pointing out is that if you are willing to consider any new system that is
incompatible with an older system (like FM replacing AM), you may as well
do it with something more advanced and capable, like digital packets over
spread spectrum (which could be considered a relative to FM). One does
_not_ need to implement any of the fancier capabilities that I mentioned. I
stated them only as what could be easily done once the capability is in
place.

Analog cell phones are being replaced with digital cell phones, so I fully
expect the same co-existence can be done with a changeover from analog
aviation radio to digital radio. There would be no need to replace
everything at once and I'm not sure why you think that would need to be the
case.