Old September 13th 06, 03:16 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
588

Default Glider Crash - Minden?

Eric Greenwell wrote:

Does anyone have an idea what percentage of the VFR
airplanes carry a transponder detector, including the low cost units?
I'd guess a majority of them do, but I haven't seen any numbers. If so,
then a transponder would help you avoid (indirectly, since they would be
doing the actual "avoiding") the majority of VFR traffic.

Locally, two gliders have PCAS/transponders, 2 have transponders only, 1
has PCAS only, and two have neither. Of course, we all have radios and
track each other that way.

I don't remember reading any stats on xpndr detector usage. AOPA may
have something. I expect usage will climb steadily from where it has
been. I'm the only one I know with a PCAS unit (no transponder, yet),
but I have not conducted a survey of glider pilots in our club. I should
do so.

Jack