Old September 19th 06, 01:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Peter R.

Default Beach Runs?

Nik wrote:

While surfing in 2003, when I lived in Wilmington, NC saw a Pitts
flying about 20 feet high and 200-300 feet from the shore, probably
doing around 100kts. How legal was he? Do have any nice experiences
about Beach Runs?

Back in spring 2003 I rented a C172 out of Palm Springs, California, then
took my father for a ride over to San Diego, California. In addition to
flying the VFR corridor over the San Diego International airport and into
the bay, I also dropped below the San Diego class B airspace, which
mandated altitudes of less than 500 feet msl, and flew along Mission Beach,
about 1,000 feet from the shore.

Flying relatively low over the water is legal, assuming no airspace
restrictions and one remain at least 500 feet from any person, craft, or
building in the water or on land. It can also be exhilarating, assuming
the pilot understands the risks and manages them accordingly.

--
Peter