Old December 15th 04, 11:47 PM
Gene Whitt

Thanks for the comments,
My student is a 20 year out of experience private. I have flown about 20
hours of area familiarization, pilotdage, radio procedures, planning
arrivals and depatures in a mix of weather conditions and visibility.
During this process I worked on one-finger trimmed airspeeds in all flight
speeds and configuration. I was to handle all the communications on this
training flight.except for departure and arrival.

My first IFR training flight consisted of VFR flight between two VOR about
60-miles apart without the hood. lWe spent about 45 minutes planning the
route, intersections, frequencies and radials. using two navigational radios
where we always flew the #1 from and to a VOR midpoint on the route. All
the intersections were located by use of the #2 navigational radio. All of
this was plotted on the chart.

We then went out to the aircraft and did a dry run setting all the
navigational radios to the appropriate frequencies and OBS settings as
referenced to the charts. This actual making the required changes in the
frequencies and OBS settings helped student to see where the short way to
turn took some prior planning.

We planned to fly the vertical-S in C-172 with all climbs at 90 knots and
level flight transitions to cruise speeds and back to 90 knots for descent..
All level flight eastward was done at odd-thousands plus 500 and westward at
even-thousands plus 500.

We also planned using airway intersections from both left and right sides of
flight planned route. Course reversals were made at each end. of the airway
two minutes after crossing the VORs. Flight timing was done using DME.

The VFR part of the flight went very well with the student fully occupied
without being overloaded. Due to time restraints we were able to get only
40 minutes of hood time going a second time on the route but only half way
and back. .

We have planned a second flight (cancelled by weather) where we will file an
airway flight of about an hour that takes us on a modified 'wreckedangle'
pulling our intersection turns off of VORs from both ahead and behind. This
will increase the need for changes in headings, radials and OBS settings in
the #1 nav radio as well as a few radials changed in the #2 for courses and
intersections. Decisoon as to whether IFR or VFR depends on conditions.

Gene Whitt