Old December 21st 04, 09:28 PM
Bob Gardner

This is an IFR newsgroup, and I assume that everyone is using
black-and-white charts. The usual argument against red light is that it
washes out detail on sectionals. The AIM does not give a glowing endorsement
of red lighting and emphasizes the need for white light. Green is a nice
alternative. I never used red light in all my years of flying IFR, but that
is just a personal peccadillo. I found that turning white cockpit and
instrument lighting down to an irreducible minimum worked well for me. I
also used diffused white light to illuminate approach plates.

I note that the chemical light sticks designed for emergency use glow green,
but that might just be a question of available chemicals. Googling "night
vision _ green" gets a lot of hits that refer to night vision goggles. I
hope and pray that none of our newsgroupie friends are using NVGs. That
appears to have driven the military to go to green instead of red.

Bob

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message
"Bob Gardner" wrote in message
Let's read AIM 8-1-6.

Bob Gardner

"Jay Beckman" wrote in message

Stan,

Just curious..

What do you find superior about green instead of red light?

TIA,

Jay Beckman
PP-ASEL
Chandler, AZ

Bob,

I know colored light will distort how well you can read a chart at night.

I was just asking what's better about green instead of red?

Jay B