Old October 13th 06, 02:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting

Default "Why was a plane able to fly over New York?"

John Theune wrote:

You are confusing GA with VFR traffic. While some of those cities MAY
have controlled airspace to the ground, they do not ban GA. Even if
they have controlled airspace to the ground it may not prohibit VFR
traffic. Yes Class A requires IFR but if it's Class B or below then you
just need permission to fly VFR in there.

You are correct to clarify.
I was referring to VFR, which I believe is the subject of this thread,
but I accept your correction. At this point there is no Class B in
France - and until recently no Class C either. Class A is defined the
same (no VFR) but applied differently than in the US. It is used to
keep VFR traffic far from Paris.

It is very likely that JAA rules will bring European airspace closer to
the structure familiar to US pilots, and there will be more Class B and
C airspace - however I believe it is just as likely that cities like
Lyon (class C) will refuse access to most or all VFR.

GF