Old October 15th 06, 04:23 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Jack[_4_]

Default Tow Signals

Vaughn,

Please don't put words in my mouth... I never would suggest that
anyone fly without a radio. Don't tell me now how good your $230- radio
is now, tell me 10 years from now. If it's still working and hasn't
fallen apart, I'll agree with you.

A radio should always be used as primary. It's the safest thing to do.
As a backup... know the signals. If you are out working trackside and
your handheld radio craps out, you had better know the hand/lantern
signals or you might just get run over my the train... or fired... or
fined by the FRA... or all of the above... (like the FAA, but for choo
choos.) Heck, they even take the slack out.

Jack Womack