Old November 8th 06, 01:19 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Leonard Ellis

Default How many monitor 121.5?

I almost always monitor guard (121.5 MHz) on one of the two transceivers in
our C172 when I'm clear of the DFW Class B. Other than hearing people who
mistakenly talk on guard (and those who respond "xxx, you're on GUARD!", I
primarily hear TRACONs warning people who are about to bust the TFR around
the President, mostly near his place near Crawford, Texas. I don't recall
hearing any of those people respond on guard, but it certainly reminds me to
respect that airspace on the way to Granny's house or to see our daughter in
San Marcos.

I was trained to listen to Guard by the US Army. It came in handy for me
several times in Vietnam when people came to my aid and I was able to return
the favor a couple of times myself. In my opinion, it is always a good
thing to monitor 121.5 so please get yourself into the habit of doing so.

Cheers,
Leonard

".Blueskies." wrote in message
.. .
The Maydays post got me wondering. I don't monitor except during the long
flights, maybe ~2 hours or longer...