Old November 9th 06, 11:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Robert M. Gary

Default When do controls return to neutral?

T o d d P a t t i s t wrote:
john smith wrote:

The Champ takes off perfectly fine with the stick neutral on takeoff.

I find with a passenger in the back that stick forward gets
me up on the wheels, while neutral leaves the tail down for
far longer.

Most of my time is Chief rather than Camp (although I do have about 20
hrs of Champ). By myself the plane takes off from the grass quiet well
from the 3 pt. With a pax I find I need to bring the tail up about a
foot to gain speed necessary to get off the grass.
BTW: In some tailwheel planes, moving the stick full forward
disconnects the tailwheel steering and allows castering, not a good
idea on takeoff roll.

-Robert, CFII