Old November 12th 06, 10:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
BT

Default The Sky is Their Limit

"It glides 30 feet forward for each foot it comes down, so from our 2000
feet we can go almost 1200 miles before landing. You can go in smaller
circles in a sailplane and whence maneuver better in looking over places
where you might have to land."

30 to 1 L/d, 2000ft AGL is 12 miles? not 1200

I use nautical miles, or 30/1 = 5nm per 1000ft, or 10 nm,
statute miles, 2000ft agl x 30 = 60,000 divied by 5280 = 11.36sm

Bill

wrote in message
ups.com...
In 1967, the US soaring community received a perfect storm of publicity
as three major mainstream publications printed articles about their
sport. Membership in the SSA shot up.

I am in the process of making these articles available on the web. Here
is the first, from the April 1967 issue of Reader's Digest:
http://home.comcast.net/~johan.larso...heirlimit.html

There's an email link at the bottom of the page. Drop me a line if you
spot any typos or other weirdness with the page.

Johan Larson