Old November 15th 06, 05:15 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting,rec.aviation.student
Mxsmanic

Default Soreness after flights, and rudders

VH-UNR writes:

No its not, think of it like this. The peddle rotates around a point on
the back, this is about 1/3rd the way up from the bottem of the peddle,
so by going heels on floor it is impossible to rotate the peddle enough
to apply the brake. when you on the ground, you push through your heel
to steer the nose and push you ball of the foot forwards to use brakes.

OK. I was under the impression that the entire pedal pivoted around a
point at the bottom. It's hard to tell from photos.

Are rudder pedals about the same height as pedals in a car, or are
they higher up? They look higher up in photos, such that you actually
have to lift your foot in order to put it squarely on the pedal (which
is rarely necessary in a car).

practise, practise, practise. remember that the surface is not always
perfectly flat so you will constantly have to adjust your throttle to
maintain a speed. thats why whenever your on the ground and moving, you
hand is on the throttle unless you tuning instruments.

Yes, that's the way I end up. Speed up, slow down, speed up, slow
down. And if I'm going anything beyond very slowly, turns seem to
become exaggerated. Applying brakes on only one side seems to have a
tendency to turn the aircraft wildly unless one is barely moving. I'm
having trouble applying equal pressure to both brakes.