Old November 27th 06, 05:13 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
gatt

Default My first solo - and the worst flight of my life

"Monarch Student" wrote in message

the top of his lungs, "90 KEEP IT AT ****ING 90 ON DOWNWIND!!". I
look down at the airspeed, which is at 87. He slaps my hand away from
the throttle, and mashes it in.

Time for a new instructor. Somebody who conducts himself like that with a
student is likely missing other critical instructional skills that a more
level-headed and positive instructor is more likely to possess.

How much of a hit would I take changing instructors this far in?

Not much given you've just soloed. Consider that what you're learning
concerns matters of life and death for you and your future passengers, and
if an instructor has to swear at you on the day you solo, he's irrational.
That might make you question his decision to sign you off to solo in the
first place. In terms of the money you might lose, I think it's better to
reward a good instructor than enable the behavior of a poor one and if you
don't, in the long run you'll be spending a lot of money trying to enjoy
something being taught to you by somebody you don't trust.

I dated a girl who had an instructor like that in Baton Rouge. He made her
so uncomfortable in the cockpit she "quit flying for awhile" and never
picked it up again.

Any advice would be appreciated. I'm beginning to hate flying, which is
sad because I began learning thinking it would be fun.

It is and for the money you have to pay to do it, it should be.

By the way, CONGRATULATIONS.

-c