Old December 3rd 06, 04:32 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Newps

Default Pic of the Airgizmo installation

Mike Spera wrote:

At some future time, after the plane is sold twice, or some inspector
hungry for a violation performs a ramp check 5 states over, you could
well be flagged on the install. A wrench who does not "get it" may well
flag it on a pre-buy as an improper install. The wrench who signed it
off cannot (and likely will not) stand behind you.

OK, take a ramp check as an example. Inspector comes up and doesn't
like the Gizmo. Looking thru the window he has no idea what process
happened to make that legal. He doesn't know if you just had a logbook
signoff or got a field approval. There's nothing he's going to do on
that ramp to stop you from flying today. If he wants further
documentation on the device he can make a request that you produce your
records. Whatever. It ain't going to happen today. And if he does
make that request the fact of the matter is the mechanic signed it off,
therefore it's legal. The FAA has to go thru quite a process to make
you remove that Gizmo. The fact of the matter hundreds of these are
being quite properly signed off with a logbook entry.

Was the thing hard wired into the plane for power? Or did the shop
simply tie wrap the power cable to the harness and snake it around the
front of the panel to go into the cig. lighter?

The power cord is irrelavant. I have an XM radio attached to the front
of my panel. I had my mechanic install a cig lighter up under the panel
so you couldn't see it. The XM is plugged into that. I would have just
hard wired the XM cord but it needs less voltage, 5 or 6 volts I think,
so you need the end of the original cord which is the voltage reducer.
I do have my 295 hardwired, although it is not in the panel, merely on
an arm attached to the back of my throw over yoke.