Old December 9th 06, 02:28 AM posted to rec.aviation.ifr
Alan Gerber

Default IFR Cancellation Question

A Lieberma wrote:
Alan Gerber wrote in
I assume the purpose it serves is it tells them when they can
terminate flight following.

VFR flight following is workload permitted basis.

I guess I worded that poorly. Of course they can terminate flight
following whenever they need to. Once the field is in sight, you pretty
much *need* to terminate flight following -- either to contact the tower,
for a towered field, or to start talking on CTAF, otherwise.

So, like you, I have experienced the same, approach asking me to advise
airport in sight. Approach can tell you to squawk VFR, have a good day
well before you have a visual on VFR flight following. In my area, I have
never had that done except once when I was arriving after the ATC shut down
for the night.

I've had that done on occasion -- including my long student X-C solo. I
assumed they weren't able to do the handoff, especially since they gave me
the frequency to try myself later.

.... Alan
--
Alan Gerber