Old December 19th 06, 04:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Al G[_1_]

Default How many aircraft "Types"?

"John" wrote in message
oups.com...

Al G wrote:
How many "Types" have you flown?

Without mentioning any names, I have recently seen claims of having
flown
more than a thousand types. Are there a thousand types? Are there 1000
civilian types?

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, if I fly a C-210, a T-210 and a
P-210,
I consider them
all one type. They are all on one type certificate, right?

An astronaut bio I recently read claimed he had flown 56 types. I
believe it, he could
probably tell you the serial #'s. Although I haven't counted, in 35 years
I've probably
flown dozens.

Statistically, if you HAD flown 1,000 types, have you flown half of
the
aircraft types ever flown? 1/4?

I guess we could limit it to production types, but that would rule
out
Crossfield and Yeager
and others who probably got exposed to more types than "average". I think
that this fellow never
flew military active duty, so that should limit it somewhat.

We should definitely rule out any simulator time.

AL G

There was recently another thread along this line. I remember looking
up Eric "Winkle" Brown of the British Fleet Air Arm WW2 era. He is
widely regarded as having flown more individual aircraft types than
anyone in history. IIRC his numbers were between 400 and 500. He was
the Royal Navy's chief test pilot for much of the war and afterward.
He test flew every aircraft in inventory including all the American
types purchased or leased for the war and all the captured enemy types.

John Dupre'

Thanks John, Google is my friend, when I have an idea what I'm looking for.

Al G