Old December 23rd 06, 01:12 AM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
ChuckSlusarczyk

Default Hmmm a BD5J with zero hours FS

In article yd_ih.571$kD4.351@trndny06, Anthony W says...

ChuckSlusarczyk wrote:

Add a couple model plane jet engines to an ultralight and you would have
developed a jet airplane with the slowest max speed. You can file your new
world record with "Ripley's Believe It or Not."

Actually it's been done twice.Once on a Mitchell wing that flew I think at SnF
about 10 years ago and a couple years ago with a twin jet on a Pteredactyl flown
by Jack McCornack. I saw them both. They were slow alright :-0

Chuck S

The Mitchell Wing was my first thought but the name escaped me at the
moment. Weren't those pulse jets on the Wing rather than mini-turbines?
In my not so humble opinion a Mitchell U2 with mini-turbine engines
would be the coolest ultralight ever. If I weren't built like a
linebacker, I'd already be into ultralights...

The record is for the smallest jet, it didn't say anything about how
fast it was or if it even got off the ground (as we know juanatross
never did.)

The Mitchell wing had a small turbo unit I think it came out of a small ground
power unit. Sounded neat but I guess it burnt fuel at a pretty good clip. I
guess it was doing about 60 - 70 mph . The other was a twin turbo Pterodactyl
using model airplane size engines. He needed both and I guess combined they
produced 55-65 pounds thrust . Neither one was practical but they were fun to
watch and both did what jauns jet won't do and that is they flew :-)

Merry Christmas

Chuck S RAH-14/1 ret