Old December 26th 06, 01:34 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt

Default What is a 'PK" screw?

mhorowit wrote:
I see mention of "PK" screws. Can someone point me to an illustration?

Dear Mike,

The correct answer (and illustration) depends upon the application.
That's because 'PK' has both generic and specific meanings.

In the generic sense 'PK' means any sheet-metal screw, the 'PK'
reflecting 'Parker-Kalon,' the company that first made them. (But
didn't invent them.)

In aviation a 'PK' was not only a sheet-metal screw it was a temporary
fastener, the precursor of the cleco. Key differences was a fiber
washer affixed to the underside of the head so as not to mar the
aluminum, and a hex head, to allow it to be driven with less chance of
slipping (and marring the aluminum). Otherwise, it was your basic
coarse-pitch, blunt-tip (Type B ?) sheet metal screw, which was often
pressed into service when you ran out of 'real' PK's (and is still
commonly used as a sheet-fastener for repair work).

The funny bit here is seeing kit-builder's wings a'bristle with a
forest of clecos at two-bits a pop... when a real tin-bender would use
half a dozen clecos... and several hundred PK's at perhaps a penny each
:-)

I'm pretty sure I mentioned PK's in my 3-part epistle 'Riveting 101,'
which I've uploaded to my blog ( bobhooversblog.blogspot.com )

-R.S.Hoover