Old January 19th 07, 07:49 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Wayne Paul

Default Just doodles...

"cavelamb himself" wrote in message
hlink.net...
Wayne Paul wrote:

Bob,

Your HP-18 side-stick to center-stick is an example of good design.
http://www.hpaircraft.com/center_sti...22_january.htm
(Complete story http://www.hpaircraft.com/center_stick/)

Other designs that may be of interest to the group are Udo Rumpf's use of
a PIK-20 sailplane stick
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...ter_Stick.html
and Brian Case's HP-16 modification.

Brian need to lower the seatpan in his HP16 to allow more head/canopy
clearance. So he removed the old cable system which ran under the seat
and designed the following modification:
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co..._Stick_Mod.htm
(Brian by his HP-16T
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/HP...Mackay_IDa.JPG)

Wayne
HP-14 "6F"
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder

The second picture from the top tells the tale.

I'd assume (?) that there is something like a U joint behind the cockpit
to let the push rod line up with the elevator horn?

I'll have to think about this some more.
You guys just could be right!

Richard,

Here are some pictures from behind the cockpit that may help understanding
Brian's control system..
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...ick_Mod_11.jpg
The above picture was take looking forward. It shows the bulkhead aft of
the wheelwell. You can see the series of bell cranks that actuate the
ailerons and the push the stick's push rod as it is routed through the right
side of the bulkhead. The elevator push rod and direction reversal crank
can be seen on the left side of the bulkhead.

(More pictures
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...tick_Mod_9.jpg
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder/Co...ick_Mod_10.jpg)

As you can see, there are no "U-joints". The linkage has almost no "slop"
and give good control surface feed-back.

It should also be noted that the ailerons droop and reflex with the flaps
avoiding misalignment during normal cruise and thermaling flap
configurations.

Wayne
HP-14 "6F
http://www.soaridaho.com/Schreder