Old July 11th 03, 12:55 AM
Jan

Sad to see that the simple question for the #1 fighter plane turns
into a battle that reveals the inability of some poeple to get along
with any kind of different opinion:

Person 1: What is the #1 fighter plane?
P2: the Mustang
P3: you're damn right man!!
p2: it's a pleasure to talk to you
p4: i think there could be... perhaps.... different plane....???
p2: what do you know
p3: exactly get lost you revisionist nazi
p2: shXX up or we come back and get the job finished

and so on

With respect to the question: there isn't any best fighter. Every type
had its shortcomings. The soviet La7 and Yak3 were pretty much
superior to everything else down low but not competitive at alt. The
late Spitfires and FW's were probably better than the Mustang 1on1 but
with limited range.

Don't trust anybody saying this is the winner hands down.
It's just his sole opinion and nobody here flew one of these planes in
combat.

regards

Jan Fuhrmann

"Edward French" wrote in message ...
Hello All,

Ok, is there a singular Numero Uno air-to-air ww2 pistoned-fighter?

I figure that "reliable performance with lethality" has gotta be considered
60% of the truth. Ease of manufacture, versatility, easy to pilot,
durability, etc. making up the 40%.

I'm hearing that, in all altitudes, the FW190 did the job best. How about
the HELLCAT?

--hug the day