Old July 15th 03, 02:36 AM
Peter Stickney

In article ,
(The Revolution Will Not Be Televised) writes:
On 29 Jun 2003 15:59:14 GMT,
nt (Gordon) wrote:
On another subject, you couldn't give me a realistic cruising speed
for B.IX/B.XVI mossies in '44'45, could you? I mean a real one,
including bombload, etc? Many thanks if you can, if not don't worry
about it.

Best range cruise speed fpr any type of Mosquito would be 'bout 170
kts/196 mph IAS. At 20,000' that would be a bit over 266 mph TAS, at
25,000', it would be 290 IAS, and at 30,000' it would be 320 mph TAS.
At a slight cost in range, you could bump these speeds by about 15-20
mph - the Mossie had a fairly flat L/D curve.

Best cruise speed is largely independant of the engine power
installed. What's most important is the drag on the airframe, and the
point on the Drag Polar plot that shows the point of minumum drag.

--
Pete Stickney
bad measures. -- Daniel Webster