Old February 22nd 07, 06:42 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Jonathan Goodish

Default Intercom question

In article ,
Dave Butler wrote:
I own a Piper ArcherII PA28-181.
In all the years I have flown this aircraft I haven't used a headset, mainly
because when I have tried it I find it strange not hearing the same engine
sound I have always been used to.

Hi Steve,

I hope you are using some kind of ear protection, if not a headset. This
is a great hobby, but it's not worth losing your hearing.

The Archer isn't all that loud. I can carry on a conversation in a
normal speaking volume in my Archer while in cruise. Apart from that,
the low frequency noise poses much less of a short-term risk for
noise-induced hearing loss.

That being said, I use a headset in my airplane, and can't imagine
flying for very long without one, especially when radio work is required.

While ANR headsets may be the way to go, it is important to understand
that there is _NO_ clinical evidence that ANR does anything to preserve
a person's hearing over passive attenuation.

JKG