Old March 5th 07, 11:20 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
TheSmokingGnu

Default XXX Various flying and training questions (small aircraft)

"Mxsmanic" wrote in message
What aspects of slow-speed or minimum-speed flight should I practice?

Same as normal flight, climbs, descents, turns, straight and level.

The aircraft (Baron 58, in
this
case) seems very unstable at low speeds.

Welcome to reduced slipstream and being behind the power curve.

Is
this a
good or bad idea when trying to hold altitude? What about for climbs and
descents?

Good, unless you happen to have an instantaneous VSI.

Apart from an ILS approach, why would I need to care about a
specific rate of descent, especially if I have visual indicators on the
runway
telling me whether or not I'm on the glide path?

VFR? Doesn't matter, as long as you don't fly below the slope.

I've heard that being below the glide slope is a bad thing that examiners
don't like.

Your landing gear and the trees on approach will have nasty things to
say to you, too.

At what distance from the airport (or in what configuration) am I
expected to stay on or above the glide slope? And does being above the
glide
slope count strongly against me?

When you make the final descent to landing. And typically no, as most
slope indications are set for 3*, while a more normal GA approach is
something like 4*. As long as you make the runway touchdown point, it
doesn't matter if you flew the approach upside down.

If I am flying by hand, how well should I be able to hold altitude in
level
flight?

Better than you can right now. It's always up for improvement.

how
well a decent pilot should be able to do this.
And I mean without trimming first. What about when making a
turn?

Nonsensical, since a decent pilot would already be trimming by the time
he reached his intended altitude (starting at the level-off height).

A decent pilot can hold +/- 50 foot.
A good pilot can hold +/- 20 foot.
A superb pilot won't even let you know the plane changed altitude.

Same tolerances in a turn.

How steeply should I be able to turn coordinated and without losing
altitude?

A matter of math, since you have to figure the maximum coefficient of
lift necessary to determine the absolute max bank angle the wing is
capable of.

However, you should try for coordination in ALL turns, regardless of bank.

I can do standard turns well enough, but how much steeper do I have to go?

Steep turns are those up to 60*. Keep trying.

And stop crossposting.

TheSmokingGnu