Old March 11th 07, 11:08 PM posted to rec.aviation.owning
Doug Vetter

Default You know you own an airplane when...

Jay Honeck wrote:
An A&P who charges you $700 for a battery box, after telling you he
can't "repair" it anymore, is no friend of GA.

I saw the old battery box today, and its condition really surprised me.
I'm amazed the battery stayed with the airplane, as two corners were
nearly completely rotted out and several cracks were forming between the
weak spots. It definitely needed to be replaced.

Say what you want about my A&P, but I've been flying behind his work for
almost 20 years now and have come to appreciate his attention to detail
and safety. While it may be legally possible to bend the rules and
fabricate a new box using a "1-square-inch piece" to represent the
existing box, that's certainly in violation of the spirit of the rule
and does represent a significant liability risk to the mechanic.

-Doug

--
Doug Vetter, ATP/CFI

http://www.dvatp.com