Old April 9th 07, 03:10 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gene Seibel

Default "Street pattern" notation on charts?

On Apr 9, 7:40 am, wrote:
Hello all!

I'm wondering about a notation I've seen on a couple of VFR sectional
charts. A small area - no bigger than about 3 or 4 miles on a side -
will be outlined with thin black dashed lines, with a note "street
pattern". The note is in the same typeface used for other landmarks
like "golf course", "plant", "hospital", etc. Does it mean something
like "unusual street pattern that is a good visual landmark"? Or
something closer to "this might sort of look like a runway, but it's
not, so don't land on it"? I've looked through the User's Guide athttp://www.naco.faa.gov/index.asp?xml=naco/online/aero_guidebut the
answer didn't jump out at me; is there a better place to look for things
like this?

One example is about 10 miles due east of MKO (Muskogee, Oklahoma). Seehttp://skyvector.com/perl/code?id=KMKO&scale=2and look east of MKO and
just north of the small town of Braggs. (For those of you keeping score
at home, this is on the Dallas-Ft. Worth sectional.) Here is a Google
Maps satellite photo of the same area:http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&z=14...-95.189667&t=h

Thanks!

Matt Roberds

I believe the street patterns are there as land marks, however I have
seen a dragstrip or two on a chart, and I suspect those are there so
as to not be confused with a landing strip.
--
Gene Seibel
Gene & Sue's Flying Machine - http://pad39a.com/gene/