Old April 19th 07, 03:30 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Steve Davis

Default DG-300/303 owners...

Yes Bob, I was responding to your earlier post.
Thanks for your reply; there seems to be a lot
more going on in the spar than I had realized.
I was just guesstimating at the value of a DG 300
now vs. after a repair. With the current 'fix'
from DG I suspect a lot of them will just sit in
trailers not getting flown, or bought.
Also, is this a problem with both the top and
bottom spar caps of the wings or just one cap?
Thanks for your information.
Steve

You have described a $20K repair on a product
which might not be worth $20K right after the
repair.

I assume that you're replying to my post of 1:39 today
- though it
doesn't appear so in the Google view of r.a.s. Please
let me know if
otherwise.

Yes, in the right hands that might be a $20K repair
- I know a lot of
folks who can manage that, and I'm sure they're salivating
over the
fallout of this situation. But if there's lots of them
to do, a
relatively modest investment in tooling can easily
cut the costs down
to around a third of that, possibly less. For example,
it's virtually
a no-brainer to build a scarf-router to precisely mill
out the
required chunk of wing spar. And the pre-fabbed skin
repair panels are
easy, the layup is dirt simple and takes about an hour
to do four;
with cure cycles you could probably yield 8 per day
from a single wing
mold set.