Old April 20th 07, 12:40 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Survival Kits

I would also add an adapter cables to power cell phones or handheld
VHF from the glider batteries. Preferably allowing them to directly
plug into the battery even if everything else is destroyed. Since my
own glider and our club gliders are standardized power connectors on
Anderson Powerpoles it makes it easy to carry common adapters.

I'd also add printing out a list of contact phone numbers for when the
cell phone dies but you can walk to a farm house etc.

I also have my personal list of emergency equipment posted at
http://www.darrylramm.com/glider-survival-equipment.

Darryl

On Apr 19, 3:11 pm, Ramy wrote:
I would add few more items from my survival kit (most of them are
handy also in non emergencies):
1 - A fully charged cell phone.
2 - A spare cell phone battery.
3 - A handheld radio.
4 - A small handheld GPS if you don't carry a GPS ELT.
5 - A flare.

I try to carry most of it on me for easy access and in case of a
bailout.

Ramy

On Apr 19, 1:58 pm, ContestID67 wrote:

I read about the landout along the Allengany Mountains and imagined
the overnight survival adventure the pilot had.http://groups.google.com/group/rec.a...wse_thread/thr....

It got me thinking about my own glider survival kit that I have built
up over the years. My son will be hiking in the desert region of Utah
and I shared with him what I had in my kit. I then decided to put
together a small web site of the contents. Maybe sharing this will
help someone in the future.

Seehttp://geocities.com/jhderosa/aviation/survival/fordetails.

Good luck out there.

- John "67R" DeRosa