Old April 24th 07, 06:40 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Jim Logajan

Default Planes named after birds

Ron Natalie wrote:
Jim Logajan wrote:
Some aircraft named after birds:

Lark (or is that named after a cigarette...show us your Lark pack!)

Sounds like an ad campaign before my time. :-)

Some aircraft named after plants:
?

Spruce goose (of course, that's not it's real name)

Hmmm. I considered that but wasn't sure whether it would fly - I guess my
thinking was rather wooden. Ahem.

Some aircraft named after land animals:

Cub! You forgot the cub?

I forgot or overlooked a lot! But I think "cub" is perhaps a little too
broad since it can mean "the young of certain carnivorous mammals such as
the bear or wolf or lion":

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=cub

By the way, I used this site as one source (very handy):

http://marchairmuseum.com/rouen01.php
"This list of 2892 airplane names (on ten pages) was compiled by Ed Rouen,
who for many years was the chief cataloger of the library at the San Diego
Aerospace Museum."