Old August 24th 03, 11:35 AM
John Halliwell

In article , Guy Alcala
writes
And you missed the essential difference that I pointed out, that RAF BC was able
fly fairly long missions at night with a single pilot, because the majority of
time
the autopilot was flying the a/c, and they had no need to fly in formation at
all.
Fly in formation and you can't let the autopilot fly the plane; the pilot has
to.
Now, with some autopilots it's is possible for the pilot to fly the a/c through
the
autopilot, giving him in effect power steering (this was the case with later B-
24s,
which were considered much ehavier on the controls than the B-17). That
decreases
the physical effort required, but not the stress from having to maintain
position for
hours. If you're a wingman, all of your attention has to be concentrated
maintaining
position on the lead a/c.

I appreciate your point, and agree with it, my point is that BC may not
have had the extra resources to hand to provide a 2nd pilot in large
numbers of aircraft. The aircraft themselves didn't have accommodation
for a second pilot and FE, so you'd lose him as well (or you train him
the rudiments of flight training as many pilots did unofficially). They
may have decided that for these reasons daylight ops with tight
formations, and therefore daylight ops would be too dangerous to fly, or
may have tried it anyway (with or without complaints from pilots).

You missed my point again. I posted that sortie length info (_including_ time
taken
to form up, which the night bombers didn't have to do) to show that 8-12 hour
Bomber
Command missions, day or might, would be the exception rather than the rule.
The RAF
heavies cruised at about the same TAS as the B-17, slightly slower than the B-
24, but
the RAF night missions don't have all that extra time due to forming. So,
unless the
RAF was deliberately wasting time on their missions (i.e. other than evasive
routing), there's no way that most missions would run 8-12 hours. Indeed, there
are
numerous accounts of of individual BC a/c returning to base well before they
should
have been able to, by cutting the corners of the planned flight path, and
'adjusting'
the navigator's logs to show that they'd managed to find some truly miraculous
winds
(that no one else encountered).

I'm going off figures from 'Enemy Coast Ahead' by Guy Gibson V.C. Early
in the war the Hampdens were flying long trips over the North Sea and
into Germany. When they got to their allotted target they were to drop a
bomb every half hour, orbiting away from the target in between. This is
before the maximum effort raids later in the war, but those single
pilots were expected to fly for 8-12 hours.

--
John