Old May 2nd 07, 01:30 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Mark T. Dame

Default 40 years ago

Erik wrote:

Damn. All these "solo'd at 10 hours" stuff. I wonder if I had
decent CFIs. I had 30 at my first solo. I know I don't learn
super fast, but jeesh.

One thing to keep in mind: in the last 20 years the number of people
soloing in less than ten hours has gone way down. I have a friend who
soloed in the late sixties in less than five hours. Basically, his
instructor took him and did turns (climbing and descending) and then
taught him how to flare. After that, solo time.

These days you learn a lot more prior to soloing, so it naturally takes
longer. The average these days is closer to 20 hours than 10. A lot of
factors affect that, as others have said. One of the biggest factors is
how often you fly. If you fly once every week or so, it will take more
hours than if you fly three or four times a week.

But, as someone else pointed out, it doesn't really matter. All that
matters is the end result: passing the checkride.

-m
--
## Mark T. Dame
## CP-ASEL, AGI