Old May 17th 07, 09:31 AM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Marty Shapiro

Default While Holding for a Briefing Today...

Larry Dighera wrote in
:

On Wed, 16 May 2007 20:33:24 -0400, Bob Noel
wrote in
:

(of course, having more briefers would have eliminated the need for
the lawyers...)

But having a larger FSS staff wouldn't have provided the same
"savings" that was the alleged reason for FSS privatization. The
contractor's performance provides a mini-glimpse at the chaos ATC
privatization would cause. I wonder why we don't hear of the Part 121
carriers complaining about FSS delays. Could it be that the airlines
aren't experiencing them?

They don't use FSS, so they don't care.

Several years ago, I had a tour of a major airlines maintenance
facility. On this tour, they showed us the trip package the pilots
received prior to their flights. This package contained a weather briefing
prepared by the airline's own certified weather people and if more
information was needed, the pilots could talk directly with the weather
people. For scheduled flights, flight plans were automatically entered into
the FAA's computers each day. Enroute, the pilots contact the company on
dedicated radio channels to get weather updates.

--
Marty Shapiro
Silicon Rallye Inc.

(remove SPAMNOT to email me)