Old May 18th 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring
Bill Daniels

Default Tow cars and trailers

"anonymous" no.email@spamfree wrote in message
Bill Daniels schrieb:

Many of us drive larger vehicles than we might otherwise choose simply to
pull our trailers 1% of the time. 99% of the time, we could be driving,
say, a Volkswagen Passat TDI diesel getting 45mpg.

The Volkswagen Passat TDI is a fairly common tow vehicle in Europe. No
need for a SUV. But then, this has been discussed here many times.

Yes, I know that. However, it's not common in the US bacause of the higher,
hotter, longer trip conditions here. Almost any trip in the western US will
include at least one long, steep grade starting with temperatures above 40C
that may climb to 3600 meters ASL. I know of one VW that arrived as
essentially junk after one trip. The next time I saw that pilot, he was
driving a much bigger tow vehicle.

If you prefer the manufacturer's position, here's a comment from USA Today's
James R. Healey::
"Back to the Passat towing spec question: VW just called to say towing's not
recommended with the Passat and that's why no towing spec is provided. Would
towing void the warranty? Uh, um, well, probably not, VW says, as long as
you tow light loads with a proper hitch installed and used per the
aftermarket supplier's recommendations. Unless, of course, some damage is
the obvious result of towing. Sounds to me as if anybody who wants to tow
should choose a different car. Too much 'maybe' factor with Passat. "

The VW Passat TDI diesel is a great car. I just wouldn't abuse it by towing
a glider trailer.

Bill Daniels