Old June 4th 07, 01:53 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt
Peter Dohm

Default Texas Parasol and 1/2 VW Engine......

"Morgans" wrote in message
Fly a full VW and count on a maximum sustained power of 40HP, with
higher power available for short term (takeoff) use.
Is there a better choice of engine for this plane?

I'm beginning to warm up to a Harley-Davidson conversion.

The output of the crank is designed for the loads of a drive belt, to

mount
a PSRU. The right cam will put out a bunch of torque at a reasonable RPM,
and there is a newer engine with a counter balance shaft.

http://www.skyray.us/index.htm
--
Jim in NC

Perhaps, but I have heard that the primary drive on a Harley may still be
chain--only the final drive is a cog belt to eliminate the source of
external dripping.

Personally, I would be a little concerned about the extreme side loads that
I have heard quoted for some cog belt systems; and might be willing to
accept the losses of a multiple vee-belt system in order to mitigate the
stress level. But this might also be a good question for the Engine Guys at
EAA Sport Pilot Magazine--who probably have the actual experience that I do
not.

Of course, there is the automatic "cool factor" of the Harley engine; which
implicitly authorizes the use of the Harley Logo on the engine cowling, the
pilot, and even the pilot's girl-friend's tush...

Peter :-)