Old June 6th 07, 07:26 PM posted to rec.aviation.homebuilt,rec.aviation.owning,rec.aviation.piloting
Dan Youngquist

Default Gasohol

On Tue, 5 Jun 2007, Morgans wrote:

I did think I understood that the problem with gasohol for airplanes was
incompatibility with some rubber parts of the fuel system.

That's what I've always heard too, but I've never been able to get anyone
to back it up with info about SPECIFIC parts that are in danger. In
particular, I'd really like to know what SPECIFIC parts I have to change
in my IO-360-A1A's fuel system so I don't have to worry about alcohol.
(It's in an experimental, so legality isn't an issue.) At the same time,
I see all manner of decades-old cars & trucks running for many years on
gas that's part alcohol, with all original fuel system parts, with no ill
effects whatsoever. So I'm pretty close to writing off the whole ethanol
fuel system damage thing as an old wives' tale, but not yet willing to bet
the farm on it.

-Dan