Old June 8th 07, 03:37 PM posted to alt.binaries.pictures.aviation
Dave Kearton

Default At Valle.. what is it, please?

JD Cooper wrote:
Dave Kearton wrote:
Dave Kearton wrote:

Maple1 wrote:

JD Cooper wrote:

Please forgive the amateur editing out of the tourist in the
pics, but I'd like to learn what the hell this airplane is/was.

TIA!

JD

VAmpire

Just to add more detail to Bill's reply, it looks like an ex
RAAF De Havilland DH-100 Vampire.

Where and when did you spot it ? We might be able to fill
in a few more gaps on its history.

Certainly in a sad condition, but better than most Vampires are
in at the moment.

Ya know, replying to your own posts is usually a sign of too much
something or other, I just can't remember which ....

Googled 'Valle' and found one in Arizona, which has an airport,
which has a museum.

http://www.planesoffame.com/aircraft.php?site=Valle

They list the plane as a DeHavilland Vampire Mk III, I'm not sure
that's 100% accurate for your photo, they may be referring to this
example http://www.davidpride.com/Aviation/PoF_165.htm which may be
an ex-Rhodesian or Zimbabwe example.

Thanks! I guess I sorta assumed most everyone here would know about
the museum at Valle... I'll be more specific next time around.

While I was there the lady up front said she did not know what the
bird was.

Again... thanks!

JD

My pleasure, thanks for posting.