Old June 19th 07, 03:27 AM posted to rec.aviation.military.naval
Tom Clarke

Default P-3C Orion In War On Terror

There's something kind of fishy with that photo! Note how gooned up the
nose radome is! Pretty lousy job with Adobe!

Tom, with a few (5K+) hours in the mighty Orion.

"Harry Andreas" wrote in message
In article . com,
wrote:

On Jun 18, 11:33 am, (Harry Andreas) wrote:
In article . com,

wrote:
Some P-3's have also been fitted with a JSTARS-type Radar system:

http://aviationweek.typepad.com/ares...tesecret_.html

The article mentioned above is incorrect: the radar in question, the
AN/APY-10 is NOT an AESA antenna.

The APY-10 is a deravitive of the APS-137, both use a parabolic dish.

JSTARS is a passive ESA system.

Harry

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur

I thought the APs-137 sat in the nose of the P-3, while the APY-10 is
the
improved version slated for the P-8.

The LSRS on the other hand, is a different radar that uses the large
"canoe"
radome mounted under the P-3's fuselage.

http://aviationweek.typepad.com/phot...7/p2_lsrs3.jpg

At least that's my understanding of the situation. If I'm wrong, feel
free to correct me.

You might be right. I may have looked at the wrong website.

cheers

--
Harry Andreas
Engineering raconteur