Old June 25th 07, 05:55 AM posted to rec.aviation.soaring

Default Buying a used GLider

On Jun 24, 10:41?pm, "BT" wrote:
Contact that
person and ask them for a "pre buy" inspection and review of the log books.
You are paying a professional for his time, but well worth a few hundred
dollars depending on your investment. It should not be and should not cost a
full annual.

Just because the seller says, annual just completed, you do not know if it
is a "valid" annual or a "paper annual", unless you know the A&Ps
reputation.

If you do not knbow the inspector's reputation and maybe even if you
do, the pre-buy should be an Annual or Condition Inspection. You never
know what will be found with a serious inspection. You might even find
things that can be used to negotiate a more favorable price.

I can't tell you how many times a newly purchased and freshly annualed
glider has been brought to me for some work or other reason only to
find some very nasty things that were missed or just innored by the
previous owner and whoever it was that did the inspection. Better to
have it fixed on the other guys time and wallet rather than yours.

Robert Mudd
A&P I.A.
Moriarty, New Mexico