Old August 20th 07, 03:12 PM posted to rec.aviation.piloting
Gig 601XL Builder

Default Cirrus Lands via Parachute in Nantucket

Judah wrote:
wrote in
ups.com:

Nope, that's not what I'm saying. A competent pilot is not completely
immune to the possibility of making a mistake, including the mistake
of accidentally flying into IMC.

But if flying in uncomplicated instrument conditions is something
that a private pilot simply doesn't know how to do, then the pilot is
missing an important skill that's required for the pilot's initial
and recurring certification. Lacking an entire area of expected
competence is not the same as just making a mistake.

I think your parallel between IMC and spins is incredibly accurate.
Recoveries from both are typically taught in the basic pilot training
PTS, but use only simulation. So why do you believe that recovery
from one is beyond a normal pilot's responsibility and the other is
not?

The Cirrus POH states that the PROPER and ONLY way to recover from a spin is
pull the chute.